Chicken Taco Soup…. aka my favourite excuse to eat nachos for dinner.
Okay, so, it’s not technically chicken. But I always make this taco soup with some kind of vegan “chick’n” and it just wouldn’t be the same soup without it.
I’ve tried various vegan chicken strips over the years and I have to say, Tofurky’s Slow-Roasted, Lightly Seasoned Chick’n is the best by far. For a long time I would use Yves Veggie Chick’n Tenders since that was the only brand of chicken strips available to me. Now I live and work in downtown Toronto where there is a beautiful, bountiful Whole Foods full of delicious vegan options nearby that stocks tasty meat substitutes like Tofurky Chick’n and Tofurky Pepp’roni Pockets (uhhhhhh vegan hot pockets??? YES PLEASE). Not to make this sound like a Tofurky commercial (I’m not getting paid for this) but dang, they are one awesome brand. I have yet to find something made by them that I didn’t love.
This recipe is literally so easy. It’s one of the main reasons I keep coming back to it again and again. The other reason being, you know, the nachos. Really all you need to throw this together is a couple of cans, a packet of taco seasoning and some toppings.
My vegan version of this recipe is based on this recipe that I’ve been using for years.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can mixed beans (or legumes of your choice)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (aka strained tomatoes)
- 1 jar passata
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 package vegan chick'n strips
- optional: 1 can diced green chilis, handful of baby spinach
- optional toppings: vegan sour cream, vegan cheese shreds, crushed tortilla chips, green onion
- Dice and saute onion. Cook until soft and translucent. (I bring them to almost caramelized but this is optional)
- Add 1 can black beans, 1 can mixed beans (or chili beans, or chickpeas, or whatever you like. I used chickpeas here but pinto beans, kidney beans and black eyed peas also work well), 1 can diced tomatoes with liquid, 1 jar passata, frozen corn kernels and package of taco seasoning.
- In a separate pan, cook vegan chick'n strips in oil until golden brown and slightly crispy. I like to pull them apart into even smaller shreds with my fingers before cooking - you might be surprised how realistic the texture can be with vegan products, it really is similar to shredded chicken!
- Add cooked chick'n strips and cook on medium-low heat covered, approximately 20 minutes. You can cook longer (you could definitely make this in a slow cooker) or eat as soon as its thrown together if you're hungry. Great either way. (I added a handful of baby spinach when it was done cooking for a nice dash of green but you could also add green onion, cilantro or leave out the green all together).
- Top with vegan sour cream, vegan cheese shreds and crushed tortilla chips.
So what do you think? Ready to try this incredibly easy, tasty soup? It makes the perfect weeknight dinner because it’s so simple to throw together, and you’ll definitely want the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Just pack your lunch-nachos separately so they don’t get soggy. And then be prepared to fend off your hungry co-workers who are totally jealous that you’re using nachos to scoop food into your mouth instead of a boring old spoon like some basic person.
Seriously, did I mention the nachos?
Drop a comment to let me know if you make this recipe. It’s seriously one of my favourite, most-used recipes EVER and I’m really excited to share it with you guys.