Ever tried roasting chickpeas? If you haven’t, you need to go do that right now.
Salty. Crunchy. Healthy. What more can you want from a snack? I’ve been addicted to roasting chickpeas for years. A can of chickpeas is so cheap, and these are dead easy to make. If you have 99c, a roasting pan and some light-tasting oil and salt, you can make roasted chickpeas. If you also have some nutritional yeast, cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion and garlic powder and cayenne you can make DORITOS-flavoured roasted chickpeas.
- 1 can no salt added chickpeas
- Drizzle of light-tasting oil (such as extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil)
- Big pinch of salt
- Big pinch of nutritional yeast
- Big pinch of cumin
- Little pinch of paprika
- Little pinch of garlic powder
- Little pinch of onion powder
- Little pinch of chili powder
- Very little pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse well. (You can save the liquid called aquafaba from the chickpea can to make vegan meringue later!! This is where using no salt added chickpeas is important.) Dry chickpeas with paper towel.
- Spread the chickpeas evenly on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with light tasting oil and shake pan back and forth or use spatula to stir chickpeas to coat.
- Sprinkle seasonings over chickpeas and again shake to coat and evenly distribute. You should go with your gut here instead of meticulously measuring out each ingredient. I just grab a pinch of spice straight from the bag or jar and sprinkle over top. Don't overthink it, do what seems right according to your taste. (I really like salt and cumin so I add a lot, you can also tweak the amounts as you like)
- Roast chickpeas in a hot oven to your desired level of crunchiness. Even the oven temperature isn't exact in this recipe. Anywhere from 350F to 400F would be fine. Check in on the chickpeas every couple of minutes after the 25-30 minute mark. Occasionally shake or stir the chickpeas and taste as they are cooking to see if they're done to your likeness. I like the chickpeas to be very crunchy so sometimes I bring them right to the edge of burnt (40 mins should do it), but my boyfriend likes them a little softer in the middle so he would say they're done after about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool, to increase crunchiness give them a few minutes to cool off and release steam. They can be messy to eat, just like real doritos. (Sometimes I use chopsticks to eat them and keep my fingers clean)
Based off this recipe for Dorito Popcorn.
I love roasting chickpeas and I love introducing other people to the wonder that is roasted chickpeas. I find they’re the perfect snack for if you’ve had a light dinner and want something with a little protein later in the night.
Make a bowl of roasted chickpeas instead of popcorn for your next Netflix night at home and let me know what you think!